The River Room is located in the historic JW Brooks Building. The JW Brooks Building began construction in 1899 and was restored in 1920. The building was originally a fish market and fisherman would sell the fresh catch right into wagons on Water Street.
When the building was renovated in 1920, it became a wholesale grocery called Brooks Cash Grocery Company. It was the first overwater warehouse in Historic Downtown Wilmington!
The grocery store closed in the late 1980’s until the building was restored as retail shops and condominiums. The JW Brooks Building completed modern renovations in 1999 and The River Room found it’s home in October of 2009 and has been throwing amazing parties and events ever since!